Today’s children are more sophisticated than kids a few decades ago. Kids today want modern bedrooms with the latest gaming-ready laptops adorning their study table. Gone are the days when little girls died to have four poster beds with canopies.
Boys today are more modern too and prefer to have modern beds and abstract canvas wall art in their bedroom. Pastel colors are out, and in come bright and vibrant colors. Even their tastes in furniture and decor have gone high tech.
Although tastes in design and decor have changed, the fact remains that fixing up a child’s room should still consider transition from one age group to another without having to redecorate the whole bedroom too often. Here are some tips on how to decorate a modern kids room.
1) Never mind the four poster bed, pirate ship bed, or Ferrari bed. These days, kids like adult looking furniture, which could be an advantage since the bed or other furniture won’t need replacement when they get to their teens. Drop the wooden bunk beds made of expensive high end wood. You can use cheaper materials painted in bright colors that will appeal to kids more.
2) A bubble chair would look very modern but still suitable for a kid’s room. You can hang a bubble chair in a spacious area of the room. It’s called a bubble chair because it does look like a floating bubble like something out of a science fiction movie. It is made of a ball-shaped plexiglass with an opening on one side where your child can get in and sit on a pillow or cushion. It swings slightly and is a cool addition to a modern kids bedroom.
3) Use bright colors to make simple furniture made of affordable materials look good and interesting. Simple and boring lines can look very attractive if painted in bright colors. You can use 2 to 3 colors around the room, from the bed, walls, to the fitted wardrobe cabinets and shelves. Use brightly colored decor accents like canvas wall art, lampshades and area rugs.
4) Have fun with geometric shapes and lose the frilly flowers and intricate cutesy designs. Geometric shapes in vibrant colors can make a child’s bedroom look striking and upbeat. Instead of using wall paper, paint vertical or horizontal stripes across the walls, or even the ceiling. Use geometric patterns on the area rug, artwork, bed linens or a comforter.
5) Get rid of the blinds and heavy flowery drapes and replace them with ultra modern shades with modern prints and materials. There are roller shades, solar shades, pleated shades and cellular shades. Cellular and solar shades look ultra modern and are also durable and energy efficient by insulating heat or cold.
6) Use wall decor in a kid’s room but skip the dainty flower canvas wall art or traditional landscapes or animal art. Instead, use abstract canvas or modern offset canvas art sets that will go with the bedroom’s color theme and modern concept.
Designs for childrens rooms have come a long way. Today’s bedrooms for children consider costs, practicality, and a child’s more contemporary tastes. Check out some modern bedroom designs in the video below. You’ll wish you had a bedroom this cool when you were a kid.